Sunday, April 10, 2011

Our first announcement!

I told my parents and youngest sister tonight! The cat is out of the bag! I did not do it in the way I planned. For some reason I got a case of the jitters and just held up the ultrasound pictures and blurted out, "You know what this is?" My youngest sister said, "An ultrasound." Then I don't really remember what I said, maybe something like, "Yeah, but whose?" And my mom says, "Are you expecting?" And my husband is joking saying, "Our dog is pregnant." I was just standing there with this nervous grin and my mom asked to see it and I showed her and my sister who was sitting next to her and then my dad and they were all just so excited. My dad is just thrilled to have his first "local" grandchild. We live a half hour from my parents and my other siblings with kids live about two hours away. They don't get to see them as often as they'd like so this will be a treat to see their grandchild weekly (or maybe more but as of now we see them every Sunday for dinner).

My dad asked me if I had morning sickness and I told him no, I was just really tired, and he said I was just like my mom and she never had morning sickness either and got really tired with her last (my youngest sister). Then he told me to make sure I drank plenty of fluids. That was his fatherly advice. He also wanted to know which hospital I was delivering at. My mom was just blown away by the ultrasounds, about how much detail she could see of the baby on the 7-week ultrasound. The 8- and 9-week ultrasounds got blurrier. She is already talking about turning their spare bedroom into the baby's room, saying she needs to get a high chair at her house, etc. I love how excited they are!

I called another sister on the way home. She did not answer but called back a bit later to say she was putting her little guy (not quite 3 years old) to bed. She said she thought she'd call me back to see if I needed something and I said, "Nah, I just wanted to tell you you're going to be an aunt!" She shrieked and yelled, "First of all, that's awesome. Secondly, I told my husband you called and he said, 'Call her back, maybe she's calling to say she's pregnant.'" How funny is that? We got a laugh out of it! So she's excited too.

I still have to tell my brothers and my other sister. Then I can start telling extended family and some close trustworthy friends. I'm still planning to wait until the second trimester to make the Facebook announcement and tell my coworkers and the "world."

No comments:

Post a Comment